I always heard parents talk about how quickly their children grow up and how fast time passes, and I am starting to feel the same. Although there are days that drag on and on or weeks that seem like they will never end, overall the time is cruising by. I can hardly believe that we are already done with 53 days of school (out of 180) and Thanksgiving is just 1.5 weeks away and 4.5 weeks later, we will be celebrating Christmas.
I am making a very conscious effort to take time to celebrate the birth of Christ and to spend time with friends and family during the month of December. Usually I feel so bogged down with shopping for gifts, sending out cards, and the other busy-ness of Christmas. Don't get me wrong, I really do love baking, making cards, shopping for the perfect gift, etc..., I just don't like how it leaves me drained and without time to reflect on the true gift of Christmas. So, I started early. I have most of my shopping done, the cards are almost completed, and the baking will happen with my mom and sister, which will make it a great bonding time as well. I can't, however, bring myself to decorate until Thanksgiving is done or start the Christmas music yet.
I think my 3 year old nephew, Logan, feels the same way. I spent the weekend with the Recob family this past weekend and my sister related this story to me from last Thursday:
(While driving in the car with Julie)
Logan: Mom, what are you listening to on the radio?
Julie: It's Christmas music.
A short pause as Logan thought.
Logan: Mom, did you change the calendar yet?
Julie: No, it's still November.
Logan: Well, we didn't change the calendar yet so it's not Christmas yet. Turn it off, mommy.
I love the simple honesty of a 3 year old.
Monday, November 12, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment