Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Lessons from Gideon

Sometimes I think, actually I know, that God uses the very things I should be teaching to my students to teach me a lesson or two. I teach Old Testament Bible History to 6th graders (a subject I once groaned over because I thought New Testament would be so much better and now I relish it because I love the old stories and their wisdom). Anyway, we are past creation, first sin, the flood, Abraham and family, Joseph and his trials, Moses and the Exodus, and now onto the first Judges. We just studied Gideon and how God worked through him to defeat thousands of the Midianites with just 300 Israelites and their trumpets and torches. I was reminded of how faithful God is and how strong and powerful He is, so much so that He can overtake thousands with just a few good men who trust in Him, men who didn't even have to kill any Midianites because the Midianites were thrown into such a panic that they killed themselves. Am I more likely to doubt God and His power or trust that He can do ANYTHING in ANYWAY that He wants to? I've had trouble giving up the control in certain situations in my life because somewhere deep inside I think that I am the only one who can handle me and my minuscule problems. And yet, I serve a God who can do the seemingly impossible with just a small group of people who trust Him. Can't I believe He will do the same for me? Oh me of little faith sometimes!

No comments: