Thursday, November 19, 2009

Back in from my Fall Out


Fall has come (and almost gone) and I've had quite a fallout from blogging. I guess life has just been happening and I had to chose between taking time to record it all or taking time to breathe it all in and I chose the latter.

Another night class has come and gone and I find myself halfway through my second class of the semester. While I love all of the things that I am learning, I am also excited to be one step closer to having my Master's degree and a bit of my life (or my free time) back to myself.

I was happy to host my aunt, mom, sister, and adopted aunt for a weekend of shopping, sight-seeing, touring, and catching up in my own hometown. We had a great girl's weekend and enjoyed time together.


I added another guinea pig to my classroom and my students fell head over heals in love with our little Nutmeg. She really is sweet (and I am not usually one for varmints).

I was able to meet baby Marshall (Sarah and Dave's little guy) and he is absolutely adorable! Nothing quite beats the feeling of a sleeping baby in your arms. It is true peace.


I also headed down to my sister's house around Halloween to visit the kiddos and of course, her and Randy. We discovered a really neat "tree playground" along the Bark River trail. We had a great adventure playing on the island with the fallen trees. It reminded me of a scene from Where the Wild Things Are (the movie). It was just such a great fallback to childhood and exploration and all of the things that being young, inquisitive, and carefree should be.




In addition to cleaning up my yard from the fall leaves and brush, I have tackled a few home projects. My roommate (Erin) helped me take down the fish-themed, glass shower doors from my bathtub and now the shower/bath is much cleaner and more accessible. Last weekend I installed a wireless garage door opener with a key code (by myself) and then Steve came over and helped me pull up a stump from the large bush that we took out earlier in the fall. It took 2,000 pounds of pressure and over an hour of digging to get it to pop out, but it finally came. One stump down, two to go (hopefully this weekend). I also built a new shelving unit for my garage, gotten things organized, and headed-up a full blown Craigslist sale to get rid of all of my excess furniture that was stored in my garage and keeping my SUV from having a warm and toasty home inside. I am happy to say that everything has been sold (or given away) and I have been parking inside, just in time for the morning frosts.

Lately I've been finalizing all of my Christmas shopping since I despise being in the malls in the month of December. I am more than happy to leave that mob scene for the die-hards.
As I move forward into the Advent season, my goal is to take some time every day (or at least every week) to focus on the true meaning of Christmas-the gift of Christ coming down to earth in order save mankind from their sin. I don't want to be so engulfed in all of the extra things to do that I don't have time to embrace the "real" Christmas. I want to be still and curl up with hot chocolate as I listen to Christmas music. I want to walk around my city and soak in the lights as I reflect upon the greatest sacrifice ever. I want to spread joy with the words I share and the deeds I do. I want to keep Christ in my heart.

No comments: