Sunday, June 18, 2006

Home Sweet Home

I spent the day in good old Omro, WI to celebrate Father's Day and spend some quality time with my dad (and mom). While there, I was able to attend my home church with my parents and I took a few moments to scan the church as I looked at all of the same members from when I grew up. Sure, there was more gray hair and a few more slouchy shoulders, but overall, it was the same, strong and sturdy Grace Lutheran Church. I walked through my dad's garden with him as he told me, in great detail and with a bit of pride, what each plant was. We inspected the roses and checked out the updates to the new, yet used, RV. Back inside, I helped (mainly watched) as mom made a delicious lunch, with homemade vanilla bean ice cream as the final course. Later, mom and I made spent a few hours twiddling our time away as we made homemade cards with her mountain of supplies. As I was driving home this evening and chatting with a friend on the phone, it struck me that whenever I say I am going "home", I am always referring to Omro, not my home in Cedarburg. I guess that no matter how long I am away, the place that my parents raised me in will always be my "home".

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Casey-This comment really has nothing to do with the immediate post. However, I was curious to whom "Balaam's Ass" belonged. There are some interesting thoughts on it.

Hope you are doing well, and I'm always ready for a piggy-back-ride.

GT

Casey said...

GT-

Balaam's Ass is part Mike Goer's website and part some other sem guys. Some of the comments are a bit radical for my tastes.