If something happened to someone you loved, would you be at peace knowing you said what you needed to say to him/her?
I think I've been refreshed of this valuable lesson in the last few days.
On Thursday, I was babysitting for a family that I take care of often and I was there because the mother had a funeral to attend in Washington D.C. That evening, when he returned from work, the father (Steve) and I were chatting about death and dying since his mother, uncle, and family friend had all died in the past 4 months. He is a devout Christian man and had great insight into the whole process of dying and grieving. He said that the greatest gift someone can give to others is to have nothing left unsaid at any given time. That way, if I were to die today, the people I care about would know that I love them and I would know that I am not holding any offense over someone else. I took his words into serious consideration and thought they were nuggets of wisdom and truth.
Unbeknownst to me that Thursday night, the words would soon ring true.
On Saturday my dad went to the doctor due to arm pain and chest tightness (classic signs of a heart attack and given his history-very probable). The doctors kept him overnight for testing and observation. Thankfully, I was at home for a baby shower already and was able to see him Friday night and at the hospital on Saturday and Sunday. As all of this chaos was ensuing at home and the hospital, I heard Steve's words about leaving nothing unsaid settle in my brain again. I'm glad that my dad knows how I feel about him. I'm glad I say "I love you" to him everytime I talk to him. I'm glad there are no arguments that stand between us. I'm glad that if something were to happen to him, I would know we have said all that we ever need to.
But, I'm even more glad that my dad came home on Sunday afternoon with inconclusive results, though nothing that looks like it points to heart issues.
How about you? Can you say that EVERYBODY in your life knows how you feel about them? Can you leave this world today knowing you have forgiven anyone who has wronged you or asked for forgiveness from those you have wronged?
I think I better take some time to consider all of my relationships and to be sure that I have left nothing unsaid with anyone.
Sunday, February 04, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment