Friday, March 30, 2007

Bizarre

The other day in school, a student came up to me and said that his dad was coming to talk to him. His dad is a little intimidating, so I was hoping he wasn't coming to observe. Here is our conversation:

Me: Your dad is coming to school?
Him: Yes
Me: Is he coming to Social Studies class?
Him: No
Me: Is he coming to the office?
Him: No
Me: Well, why is he coming?
Him:I just need to talk to him (a bit nervous now)
Me: Are you in trouble? Did you do something wrong?
Him: No
Me: Alright, I don't really understand why he is coming, but....
(He leans in close to my desk)
Him: You see....well.....ahhh....one of my testicles is swollen and.....
Me: Alright, alright, okay, stop. I don't need to know anymore. That is fine. Go talk to him and take as long as you need.

He left immediately.

Yikes!!!! I never thought he was going to say something like that! That's what I get for trying to get some clarity from the child. I was astounded that he actually said what he did to me. Wouldn't you have said, "I have a personal problem" or "I don't feel well" instead?

The joys of teaching!

No comments: