Thursday, March 01, 2007

Projects

Apparently this was quite a productive week for me as 3 different projects finished up on the same day! The door knob project had been looming over my head for about 2 years-thank goodness I finally finished it!


This is the step stool I made for Logan, my nephew, for his 3rd birthday this Saturday. Since he loves airplanes, I thought he would get into this stool. I bought it pre-made and then added the planes and his name, as well as a few coats of polyeurethene, and called it done. He will also be receiving his inflatable Superman shirt, which I am sure he will love because in his words, "Don't call me Logan, my name is Superman."




The idea for this bedside table came to me with the help of Kaela while we were shopping at Target. I saw these cool, oldish looking planters and the idea bloomed from there. This was a fairly simple project too. I bolted the two planters together (bottom to bottom) and then bought a piece of glass from Pier 1 to go on top. I also filled it with twig balls from Pier 1 to add some depth and interest. I like the rustic look it has. My question now is whether or not I should add some white Christmas lights within the twig balls so that the table illuminates under the glass. Any suggestions?


My finaly project was the one I waited the longest to do and am most excited about. I have been collecting old door knobs for awhile now. I bought a few and was given a few. My uncle found the white one in an old house he was working in and shined it up for me. Then, he and my grandma found this old barn board and drilled the holes. My dilemna was how to get the door knobs to attach to the barn board and still be sturdy enough to hold something if I wanted. Thankfully, a colleagues husband came to the rescue and helped me out with some dowels and a few other tricks. He (Jan) is an amazing wood worker and handy guy in general. I was definitely blessed by his work. I am planning on hanging it above my old trunk in the living room. As it is shown in the picture, it is sitting on a blanket so you can better see the colors.


No comments: