Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Things

Once again, it seems that many "things" have been keeping me busy. Yet, when I am asked the proverbial question " What's new in your life?", I have a hard time pointing to anything as a satisfactory answer. Here are a few things on my mind lately.

My dog, sweet old Peyton, is not doing very well and could actually be close to dying. He started getting sluggish about a week and a half ago and then refused to eat, drink, or move on Sunday. I took him to the vet on Monday and he was diagnosed with severe spinal arthritis and a possible tumor (cancer) in his spleen. Right now he is on some antibiotics and arthritis medication, which have had no effect thus far. I still have to lift him in order to get him to stand up, at which point he can walk a bit, with a great deal of effort and I assume, pain. He ate a total of 1/2 cup of food yesterday, compared to his normal 2 cups. Even when I set the food before him, he is hesitant to eat. He didn't move at all yesterday, except for the time when I forced him up to go to the bathroom. The huge debate is that the exploratory surgery to check his spleen for cancer can run between $300 and $1500, which is way over my budget for pet care. I just spent $350 to diagnose his arthritis and to do all of the other tests. Yikes, what to do? I'm at a point of sadness for the declined health of Peyton, frustration over the cost to properly care for him, and anxiety because I (the control freak) do not have the answer.

There seems to be a major lack of quality Bible studies and or fellowship for any of our high school aged kids. A parent recently presented a girls' Bible Study called "His Girl" to me and I think it is going to take root. I volunteered to lead it after reviewing the material and I am currently praying that the word of God will dwell deeply in the hearts of all of these girls. I guess the first step is to encourage the girls to attend and to stir up some interest. I am a bit frustrated because our church does have a full-time youth minister, and yet nothing seems to reach the youth at our church. However, a friend recently challenged me as I was venting to him about it. His direct question was: "What are you going to do about it?" Well, I guess I am finally stepping up to the plate. Pray that God will work through me.

In and amongst all of this, I am working hard at taking back some of my time and making wise choices about what to be involved with and what to say "no" to. I have always struggled with saying "yes" to everything someone asks of me, which leaves me with little or no time for myself and my personal relationship with God. I need to learn to make myself and my alone time with God a priority. Thank goodness that God strengthens us through the trials because I am going to be pretty spiritually buff after this stint in my life.

No comments: