Thursday, July 31, 2008

Childhood Memories

Do you have any of those places that can instantly bring you back to a moment in your childhood? There are so many little things that bring back a flood of foundational memories for me from childhood when I go back to visit my grandma in Minnesota. Whether it is the train rumbling by, just a few hundred yards from my grandma's backyard or the smell of the refinery a few miles away from her home, I am brought back to great times as a child when I would visit my grandparents and go on four-wheeler rides, boat down the Mississippi, hit the local mall, go to Selma's for a larger than life ice cream cone, or hike through a state park.

During my visit last week, Grandma and I did one of my favorite childhood rituals-we visited the open air market in downtown St. Paul. There is nothing particularly thrilling about the market or exceptional in comparison to others, but it is something I have always enjoyed. My grandpa used to take my sister and me to the market and we would stock up on fresh produce, chat with the growers, and end our time at the market with a freshly made bagel, smothered in cream cheese. It's amazing to me how the littlest things can leave the biggest impact in a person's life. Going to the market wasn't a budget breaker back in the day, nor was it a talked about or overhyped activity. It was simply something we did to spend time with our gramps and see a bit of their hometown.


Unfortunately the fresh bagels are no longer sold at the market, but the memories still came flooding back. As I walked past all of the local vendors and purchased good, wholesome, local food like honey, tomatoes, and wild rice, I was able to pause in my over-booked life and appreciate the simple things-the abundance from God's land, the kindness of good people, and the diversity of God's creation (both in the bohemian hippy types and the common families that littered the market).

Grandma and me at the market-looking at some herbal cookbooks



The market, from the rear view (and less crowded part)

A great new sculpture near the market

The park near Grandma's house on the mighty Mississippi

Grandma and me relaxing at the park

No comments: