Well, here I am after day 3 of the school year. Only 177 days to go! No really, I am happy to be back; it has just taken a bit of getting used to. I forgot how tired I always am during the first week of school as my body adjusts to standing all day, answering a zillion questions (most of them the same question, simply repeated for the 20th time) and rarely having a moment alone. My students are sweet this year and yet still quite different from my nerd-bombers that I had last year who truly did love to learn. I'll learn to adjust. Here is my favorite moment from my first 3 days:
Student A says to his Social Studies group (who is discussing the economy as a part of our culture): "Everyone give me two jobs they can think of and then give me two ways people spend money"
Student B says: "Strip clubs and sex jobs"
Now, I wasn't there to hear it, but believe me, you, Student A definitely reported to me at the end of the class. So I pulled Student B aside and had a huge talk with him about being appropriate at school.
Later, I was sitting down and thinking about how kids learn from their personal experiences in life and relate everything they know and learn to past knowledge and learning. Well, the more I thought about it, I remembered my principal telling me that Student B's mom is a stripper at a strip club. So, while he was still being inappropriate, he was speaking from personal experience. Thankfully, he does not live with his mom. Unfortunately, she is still a bad influence in his life. Ahh, what we get to see, even at Lutheran Schools.
Wednesday, August 30, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
LOL! Casey, you mind as well give Student B my number, he'll be in case management in no time!
Welcome back to school! Not a bad beginning of year story... :-)
Post a Comment