Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Planes, trains and automobiles....Ehh, busses and Ferries

This past weekend I headed out to Michigan to visit Mike and see where he took his first call as Pastor. I was pretty excited to take the ferry over and look out at Lake Michigan for the 2.5 hour ride. Unfortunately, the ferry was still being repaired on Friday so the company chartered a delightful (note the sarcasm) coach bus to take us over to Muskegon. 6.5 hours later I was there! Once I got there, we had a great time. I was able to see Mike's church in Spring Lake, the boardwalk in Grand Haven, amazing sand dunes, Mike's apartment, etc, etc.... Plus, the family I stayed with lived on Spring Lake and took us out on a few boat rides, one in which we saw the musical fountain show in Grand Haven from the boat. I also was able to wake up and take a swim, which is something I always savor. We also checked out some model homes, just for fun. They were pretty incredible, but a bit out of the price range for which Mike could afford (or anyone I know, for that matter). The tri-city area had some great restaurants right on Lake Michigan or nearby. On Sunday, it was odd and interesting and quite fulfilling to see Mike lead worship and later Bible Study in his own congregation. He did a marvelous job and from talking to the congregation members, they love him and are thankful for his gifts! Way to go Mike!!! The whole trip was great and it was particularly nice that the ferry was working again on Sunday so I was able to finally see that great view the whole way home.
The marina at Lake Michigan

Lighthouse in Muskegon


Milwaukee's skyline from the ferry


L-R: Michael (from Mike's church), Mike & me in Grand Haven

No comments: