Saturday, May 05, 2007

Problem Solver Extraordinaire

Being a middle school teacher, I am constantly confronted with lots of girl fights, petty issues, and horrible friendship-dividing arguments. Since school is almost out, they seem to be getting worse. Thank the Lord that in only 19 more school days (or 27 total days) we will be done! I think all of the kids need some space from each other! Recently, multiple parents have been calling me at home (yes, home) to ask for my assistance and or complain. Now I must say that I have had a few parents actually call me with productive questions and have helped their daughters by disciplining them for what they did wrong and by encouraging them to live at peace with others. For those parents who just call to complain, here is some advice:

1) Please call me about these issues at school. My home is my haven. May I please have SOME time to think about something other than work (which I truly do love)?

2) Every girl is going to have problems. It is something we all have had to or will have to deal with.

3) Let your child deal with their problems. You do not need to come to their rescue. How will they learn to deal with conflict if you are always right there intercepting the conflict. (read: stop living vicariously through your daughters)

4) Teach your girls to "LET THINGS GO" (For example, after sitting down with a group of 4 girls who were at each others' throats, we found out the whole fight started because one girl gave the other girl a strange look. In reality she had the strange look because she smelled something odd and of course the look started a domino effect that went on and on and on)

No comments: