Friday, August 29, 2008
Making a Difference
Sometimes I wonder if I really am making a difference in the lives of the kids I work with each day. When your days occassionally feel monotonous and you are tired of discipling the same student day after day and reminding another to bring his pencil to class every class period, it is easy to lose that fire within. Today I was reminded of just the opposite. Our Pastor of Care and Counseling came up to me in the office and shared a story with me, a glimmer of hope. Apparently Pastor R is counseling a high school girl who is struggling with life in general. One of his techniques is to ask the girl to remember a song that brings her peace, makes her feel calm, or instills in her a trust in God Almighty. She told him that the song that best does that for her is one called "Rock, Sword, and Shield" and that she learned it back in 6th grade when she had me for a teacher. Pastor R then further affirmed me by sharing what a difference our day in and day out contact with the kids can make. I hadn't really thought that a silly song with lots of hand motions and funny noises would impact a student's faith so much. It was and still is something that I do to spice up class, prasie God, and get the kids moving. And yet, I guess sometimes the Holy Spirit really does use the little things to work His way into the hearts of His children. Oh me of little faith.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
you're doing great sister! Just the other day, Greg was singing to Naomi and doing some motions and said, "I think I'm turning into Casey Miller!" We love ya girl! Keep singing for Jesus!
what a great story! thanks for sharing! (and praise God!)
Very touching Casey! I had fun checking out your blog and am glad that you are doing so well. I imagine you're an amazing teacher.
Post a Comment